The award winning Ramsgate Town Council tourism initiative, Active Ramsgate, has just launched Active8 Week
– a one week celebration in September of all things active in Ramsgate - with eight of the activities that can be enjoyed within Ramsgate all year round being offered up for people to try out for FREE!
Active Ramsgate is designed to support economic development in the town by promoting the Ramsgate area through its inspiring range of outdoor activities. The Active8 Week aims to showcase some of these, and offer visitors and residents the chance to win a ticket to try them out.
Taking place from 18 – 24 September, there is a different activity to try out each day for free. The activities on offer include a 3 hour
kitesurfing lesson on Ramsgate Sands, the location where top kitesurfer Lewis Crathern broke the UK record for the highest kite jump - a whopping 22.3 meters! Also on offer are Pickleball Taster Sessions, a hot new sport which is quickly gaining in popularity since its arrival from the US. Ramsgate is one of the few places in the UK where you can play this game – a cross between tennis, badminton and table tennis – and the National Outdoor Pickleball Championships were held in Ramsgate earlier this year.
Also on offer are Scuba Diving Taster Sessions in a local swimming pool - did you know that Ramsgate is one of the best destinations in the world for ship wreck diving! – along with a small group sea kayak to view the seals and birds at Pegwell Bay. All equipment will be provided so why not try out a new sport!
There are also active pursuits on offer for those that are more land loving, including a guided coastal walk to Broadstairs, a guided cycle on the Viking Coastal Trail, a birdwatching tour lead by a birding expert and golf - all of which give people the opportunity to get out and enjoy the best scenery and nature that Ramsgate and the surrounding area has to offer.
Those keen to try out these activities should apply via email to Active Ramsgate email@example.com giving their name, contact details and the activity they would like to take part in, by the 5pm deadline on 8 September. Each name will then be entered into a free prize draw to win a place on an activity and successful participants will be contacted with arrangements to take part in Active8 week.
For those that are unsuccessful in their application, or are unable to make Active8 week, there is also an Active8 Special Offers
leaflet that provides discounts or freebies, so you can still try out outdoor activities in Ramsgate. The leaflet can be picked up at local Visitor Information Centres in Thanet, as well as downloaded from the Active8 page of the Active Ramsgate website (www.ramsgatetown.org/activeramsgate
The full list of the Active8 Week activities on offer are:
Monday 18 – Pickleball Taster Session
- 10am, Spencer Square Tennis & Pickleball Centre, Ramsgate.
Tuesday 19 – Guided Coastal Walk
– 10.30am, Ramsgate to Broadstairs “Sea It All” small group walk led by Explore Kent.
Wednesday 20 - Birdwatching Tour
– 9.30am, Sandwich & Pegwell Bay National Nature Reserve led by birding expert Tony Swandale.
Thursday 21 – Discover Scuba Diving Session
– 7pm, St Lawrence College Pool led by Thanet Diving & Watersports.
Friday 22 – Guided Wildlife Canoe Safari
- 11.30am, Ramsgate to Pegwell Bay paddle led by Thanet Diving & Watersports.
Saturday 23 – Small Group Guided Cycle
– 10.30am, from Ramsgate along part of the Viking Coastal Trail led by Explore Kent (cycles provided by Ride Thanet cycle hire or bring your own).
Sunday 24 – Unlimited Golf Play for Families
– Any time, on the Par 3 course at Stonelees Golf Centre (clubs provided).
Introduction to Kitesurfing – 3 hour lesson
. Taken at a time to suit during the week, subject to weather conditions.
To get more information on Active Ramsgate and all the activities on offer, visit www.ramsgatetown.org/activeramsgate